Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Magic Carpet Made of Steel -- Updated


From the John Holly Williams Collection, LLF Library Archives.
After I found the above gem online, I Googled ICRR 1296.  What I turned up conflicted with something found by an old friend and colleague, Joe Gambardello. Said he:   "It was built by the Baldwin Locomtive Works, Philadelphia, Pa., in 1918. It was a 2-8-2, known also as a Mikado class, steam locomotive. The numbers mean it had 2 leading wheels, 4 drive wheels and 2 trailing wheels. Its Baldwin No. was 49404. In 1942, ICRR renumbered it 1808. It was sold for scrap in May, 1954."

Joe, who works for the Philadelphia Inquirer, added: "The Philadelphia Inquirer Building (our home until June) was built on the Baldwin site after the company moved to Eddystone in the 1920s."


I trust Joe's information over the cryptic information I initially posted, which mentioned "Lima."
I am not clear whether this locomotive pulled passenger cars or freight, or both.  Note that the "cow catcher" has seen better days.  I am sure the same could be said for the cows.



From the Lincoln, Lawrence, Franklin Library Archives -- Don Jackson Collection
Let us not forget the "25 Sacks of Mail ..."  No date is available for the above photo, although the automobiles would imply the late '40s or very early '50s.

As I noted on my Facebook page, I claim poetic license in referencing Steve Goodman's lyrics to Riding on the City of New Orleans.  This is not to imply this train had anything to do with that particular ICRR service.  (More on that iconic north/side ride in a subsequent post ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment