Friday, December 7, 2012

More Christmas Floats from the 1950s ...

From the John Holly Williams Collection, LLF Library
In the run-up to Christmas 2012, more of these vintage photos will be posted.  The dates for the above two are unclear, though they are likely from the 1956-58 period, given the other photos in the collection.  

I do not recognize faces in the first photo, but I do believe the tall man on the right in the second photo just may be Henry Ware Hobbs. 

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, that looks like Henry Ware Hobbs, Jr., so I imagine the child he's holding with the head full of curls is a little Marci or Susan Hobbs. I can tell you for sure, that is the Brookhaven Lion's Club float. My Daddy, Raymond Cohen, was a charter member of the Brookhaven Lion's Club. The lion on the front of the float is identical to the one I have on my desk that was Daddy's paperweight with the Lion's International symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's definitely Henry Ware Hobbs, Jr. on the right. Based on the blondeness of the curls, I believe he's holding my mother Marcie Hobbs Farnsworth. Susan had dark hair as a youngster, as seen in this picture: http://sippianasuccotash.blogspot.com/2013/01/more-moretons.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Marcie, it's Susan Moreton Hobbs Neal. :) Her hair just looked light in the picture.

    ReplyDelete